Welcome!


Here you'll find news, snippets, photos, and thoughts from the Carver's Daughter, Kari Jo Spear. Feel free to comment on a post or email me through the link found in "About Me." Share a birding experience. Ask me about birds, writing, carving, the Birds of Vermont Museum, or anything. I'll try to answer, or find the answer, or if all else fails, I'll just say hi back to you.

Click on "Follow by Email" to be notified when I make a new post, and you can also follow me on Facebook. The links are on the sidebar below.


You can get a copy of The Caver's Daughter: A Memoir at all major online book sellers, Phoenix Books in Vermont, and in the Birds of Vermont Museum gift shop. Available in print or eBook formats.


My young adult novel, Under the Willow, is also available through Amazon in print or eBook formats. Thanks!

Monday, April 12, 2021

Unexpected Vistors

 

Barred Owl, February 5, 2021


Pileated Woodpecker, April 6, 2021


I had two unexpected feeder visitors this year. The owl took Clover and me by surprise when I flicked on the outside light one snowy night as we were getting ready to go out. The owl looked at us as we both jumped, then completely ignored us and went back to watching the ground below the feeders for any mice that might venture out onto its dinner table. Clover and I just stood there a while, and I took a few quick photos, then I turned off the light and we backed away, leaving the owl to its hunting. When we looked back out fifteen minutes later, the owl had gone. But judging from the snow that had built up on its head, it had been there for a while.

The female pileated woodpecker flew in just as unexpectedly while Dennis and I were having breakfast. We both froze as she began to eat, so I dared to reach for my phone to take a photo. Then, a heartbeat later, she was gone. We had been aware of pileated woodpeckers all winter during our walks, but why one suddenly discovered our suet feeders, I don't know. Perhaps she had been here before when we weren't lucky enough to see her.

Unfortunately, I had to take my feeders down the next day. In the past, we have had other unexpected visitors, the kind with four paws, big claws, and lots of teeth. Those who know me know that I don't do bears well--kind of like how some people wig out at the sight of eight-legged critters, or those that go "squeak." After losing all my feeders on two separate occasions, I am now quick to declare an end to the bird feeding season when the temperatures warm up and hibernation season ends. (I tried bringing the feeders in at night, but that just made the visitor come during the day. Once I would have walked right into its jaws if our trusty golden retriever Ruby hadn't literally gotten between me and the door and refused to let me go out. It was just like in a movie. Not sure what Clover would do--probably want to go out and play with it.)

So we'll be feederless until next fall, which is sad, but the spring migration is getting underway, the days are getting longer, and the unexpected is always possible.

No comments:

Post a Comment