Welcome!


Here you'll find news, snippets, photos, and thoughts from the Carver's Daughter, Kari Jo Spear. Feel free to comment on a post or email me through the link found in "About Me." Share a birding experience. Ask me about birds, writing, carving, the Birds of Vermont Museum, or anything. I'll try to answer, or find the answer, or if all else fails, I'll just say hi back to you.

Click on "Follow by Email" to be notified when I make a new post, and you can also follow me on Facebook. The links are on the sidebar below.


You can get a copy of The Caver's Daughter: A Memoir at all major online book sellers, Phoenix Books in Vermont, and in the Birds of Vermont Museum gift shop. Available in print or eBook formats.


My young adult novel, Under the Willow, is also available through Amazon in print or eBook formats. Thanks!

Saturday, August 21, 2021

Kayaking around Marble Island

Double crested cormorant


Canada geese


Great blue heron


A cave on Marble Island


Bike ferry


When I go for my early morning paddles from camp, I usually avoid other people as much as possible, but sometimes it's fun to poke around in the marina across the bay and look at other boats. I also found twenty-two species of birds, including a loon who called before I was out of bed, a peregrine falcon, and a red bellied woodpecker. An otter popped its head out of the water near me, two turtles looked me over, and there were some wet mink tracks on the deck when I went down to launch.

I also saw lots of fancy boats, though I've yet to meet one I'd rather have than my pretty blue kayak.

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment