Welcome!


Here you'll find news, snippets, photos, and thoughts from the Carver's Daughter, Kari Jo Spear. Feel free to comment on a post or email me through the link found in "About Me." Share a birding experience. Ask me about birds, writing, carving, the Birds of Vermont Museum, or anything. I'll try to answer, or find the answer, or if all else fails, I'll just say hi back to you.

Click on "Follow by Email" to be notified when I make a new post, and you can also follow me on Facebook. The links are on the sidebar below.


You can get a copy of The Caver's Daughter: A Memoir at all major online book sellers, Phoenix Books in Vermont, and in the Birds of Vermont Museum gift shop. Available in print or eBook formats.


My young adult novel, Under the Willow, is also available through Amazon in print or eBook formats. Thanks!

Sunday, February 6, 2022

2021 life list wrap up--328!

 

Well, 2021 was quite a year for birds. I tend to average about three new species a year, but for the past two years, I've blown my average out of the air. In 2020, I added 20 birds, and that was because of my first visit to the tropics, thanks to a family cruise which we were incredibly lucky to have scheduled about two weeks before COVID hit.

Last year, I blew past even that record, thanks to the motorhome in the photo above, and added 26 new birds. A lot of them came from our first major trip--five weeks across the country in October. While we were on the other side of the Rockies, I felt like I was getting a lifer every day. It was so amazing.

2021 birds:

February--Red Crossbill

March--Greater White Fronted Goose, Cackling Goose

May--Yellow-bellied Flycatcher, Cerulean Warbler

June--Dickcissel

Aug--Wilson's Phalarope

September--Brown Boobie, Stilt Sandpiper, Red-necked Phalarope

October-- Black-billed Magpie, Towsend's Solitaire, Steller's Jay, Mountain Chickadee, Mountain Bluebird, Western Bluebird, Lesser Goldfinch, Pygmy Nuthatch, Violet-green Swallow, Prairie Falcon, Western Scrub Jay, Black-throated Sparrow, Western Grebe, Curve-billed Thrasher, Anna's Hummingbird.

December--Surf Scoter

This brings my life list up to 328! 

But of course, as exciting as seeing a lifer is, the best parts of birding are always the long walks with my binoculars and soaking in the early morning songs of spring, seeing eagles and loons from my kayak, watching chickadees at my feeders, spotting an owl watching me, pointing out a new bird to my family, and taking day trips with Dennis and Clover to see what we might see. All of those things happened last year, too.

My binoculars are ready for whatever 2022 flies at me!

Happy Birding, everyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment